* Edits will be made to this page for the next week or so *
Mailing List: List
We are moving to our new wiki found >> HERE <<
This event is a 3 day convention around the theme of hackerspaces, following the format of other similar events in other countries :
- It's run by volunteers and non-profit.
- No one gets a free ticket.
- The talks/events/workshops are run by those who attend.
- The types of events depend on who attends and what they volunteer to do.
- It is for people with an inquisitive mind and/or an interest in making things: hackers, geeks, scientists, engineers, artists, and crafters.
The types of things we expect to happen
- Social meet-ups, meet those with shared interests.
- Workshops on soldering, electronic kit building etc.
- Security talks and workshops
- Talks on topics of interest in technology, software, electronics, crafts etc.
- Demonstrations of recent projects and achievements.
Have a look at the schedule of similar, UK event:
As this is our first year we expect our conference to be smaller.
Our complete schedule of events will only be released a few days before the event.
Friday 7th, Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th of June 2013.
- Friday night from about 7pm people will start to arrive.
- Talks/Workshops/Events will take place from 10am Saturday until the evening.
- Talks/Workshops/Events will take place from 10am Sunday until probably 3 or 4pm.
We are a group of Irish people interested in technology. We have clubs in Dublin, Belfast, Galway, Cork, Limerick and Drogheda. We are organising an Ireland wide event for those interested in technology and other hacker pursuits.
Have a look at our websites:
Dublin - TOG
Belfast - FarsetLabs
Drogheda - Lightbox Lab
Galway - 091 Labs
Limerick - MiLK Labs
Cork - Nexus Cork
Worldwide Groups - Hackerspaces
Why not?? For the last few years we have been considering having a hacker
conference/camp somewhere in Ireland. We looked for a neutral venue
that could grow. Key in the list of requirements were low cost venue
There is no such event currently taking place
How to Participate
- Join the mailing list
- Volunteer to give a talk/workshop/event
- Offer to help at the event such as checking tickets, helping out with the computer network, offer lifts, cleaning up etc.
The site is Mount Melleray Scout Center, near Cappoquin in Waterford. It is being held in an old boarding school that is now converted into a Scout Centre. It has lots of on-site accommodation and meeting rooms.
Mount Melleray Location
How to get there
As the site is remote. It's probably best to get there by car. The GPS coordinates are 52.183662,-7.848184 . The nearest town is Cappoquin.
If heading from a city, or through a city, try to car share. There will be cars heading from Dublin etc. on the Friday and back on the Sunday. For arranging car sharing ask on the mailing list.
Basic internet will be provided good enough for basic email and web
surfing. Depending on numbers of attendees the speed and capacity will
be upgraded. We plan on having an on site wired and wireless network with file servers etc. This is not your opportunity to back up the internet. Abusers will be hunted down and buried down the field.
Unlike other similar events, basic dorm style accommodation is included in the ticket price. Generally the dorms have 14 beds. There are some smaller rooms with 2 or 4 beds but we cannot guarantee these to anyone at this stage. Everyone would need to bring their own sleeping bag, cover sheet and pillow. For those who like to camp, there is on-site camping area, with indoor toilets and showers. You will have access to a kitchen area.
Here are some photos of the venue, campground, and dorms.
For those who want to upgrade there is a nearby B&B. For those who want to upgrade more there is a small hotel right next door.
Here is the nearby B&B (Cnoc Buidhe)
Here is the Hotel Next Door: Pilgrims Rest Hotel
The aim of the weekend is for everyone to have a good time and not take it too serious. We may have music and an outdoor campfire. As it's our first year we expect not to be able to book out the venue. For this reason it will probably mean there will be other Scouts on-site and so no-alcohol is allowed
. However there is a pub less than a mile down the road for anyone who wants to get away. In future years we hope to book out the entire venue, and the rules will then change.
The intention is that basic food will be included. This is basically fish and chips style fast food. If you have any special requirements there are 3 kitchens on-site. There is a very nearby hotel that can arrange evening meals if ordered in advance.
There is also a pub a couple of miles away that serves basic meals. A main town (Cappoquin) is only about 5 miles away and it has various food choices and a small supermarket. If you want chocolate etc. there is a sweet shop right next door. Please try to bring everything you need.
Mount Melleray Location
Ticket prices are as low as we could make them. Similar events in the
UK were £100 and EU €100 with no accommodation nor food provided
Prices increase closer to the date to encourage everyone to book early:
- €80 Early bird until March 8th
- €90 Late bird from February 16th
Tickets are non-refundable, but you can pass on un-needed tickets to others.
Join the mailing list GaelHack Mailing List
Please note we will not issue tickets. Please keep proof of payment
which will be checked on arrival
If you have any other questions please ask on the mailing list: